Acid Base Basics
- 4. Mild hyperkalemia and decreased bicarbonate are seen in this condition. It may only show itself after insults like NSAIDs, ACEIs, or a high potassium diet are encountered.
- 6. This must be buffered in the urine, or the pH and volume would not be compatible with life.
- 7. This condition can narrow the (anion) gap). Please correct for me when calcium comes up later.
- 8. Rapid correction of chronic hypercapnia with mechanical ventilation can lead to this metabolic abnormality.
- 10. Fluid out: Severe diarrhea causes loss of this ion, indirectly causing an increase in chloride and a drop in pH.
- 11. This cold approach offers a look at acidosis compensation
- 1. In trying to provide relief, this compound can cause mixed-acid base disorders, giving nephrology students a headache.
- 2. Fluid in: Expansion with this can bring about a hyperchloremic metabolic acidosis.
- 3. No small issue, this condition can occur in those who vomit or have NG tubes placed so they do not.
- 5. You may lose energy in metformin-induced lactic acidosis when the drug directly inhibits parts of this organelle.
- 8. Deficiency in this ion increases the negative potential across distal membranes and can cause losses.
- 9. A far away effect of amphotericin treatment, this condition allows acid back in.
- 10. You should think highly of this compound’s pH.