August Beekeeping Challenges
- 3. (two words no space) We feed this to the bees
- 5. Means there is no nectar available for the bees
- 6. (two words, no space) To determine if your hive has a problem you may need to treat, you should do this
- 7. You should do this if most of your colonies are really strong but one or two are weak
- 8. your bees are hungry in August and opening the hive typically makes them _____
- 11. In fall if there is excess honey on your hive, you can still do this. If you plan to treat, you must do this.
- 14. If you feed this way, put them far away from your hives to avoid invitation to robbing
- 17. bees without honey attack your bees to steal their stores
- 18. your entrances to avoid robbing
- 20. You should only feed your hive if there is a ____
- 21. Feeding in the fall should not be done with a Boardman feeder. Instead you should use an _______ feeder
- 22. Good education can be gained by registering in August for one of these in the fall
- 1. (two words, no space) Your hive needs enough of this to make it through the winter
- 2. Bob Binnie among others considers August to be the beginning of the beekeeping _____
- 3. used to keep robber bees out
- 4. If there are still plenty of drones, you can do this really early in the month, but you should have done this in July.
- 7. If there is a box in this condition on your hive, it should be removed
- 9. These can be found under the hive cover in fall
- 10. name given to the process of removing empty supers from the hive to give the bees less space to protect.
- 12. These can also be found under the hive cover - watch out
- 13. Some beekeepers feed their bees this ______ substitute. If we do it in Georgia, we invite the small hive beetle to a banquet!
- 15. These strange insects are quite a sight, running around the top cover
- 16. If you have a hive with particularly difficult bees, it is still not too late to do this.
- 19. If robbing has occurred, and you use a screened bottom board, you'll see flakes of this all under the hive