- 2. To closely watch an opponent with intent to keep the player from gaining possession of the ball, or from making a pass or shot.
- 3. A segment of game time; a game consists of four periods.
- 6. Guard A strategy in which a guard advances the ball up court to begin an offensive play.
- 7. Goal A basket made while the ball is in play, worth two points. Also known simply as a basket.
- 9. In position near the basket to capture rebounds and block shots.
- 11. Advancing close to the basket in an effort to bank a shot off the backboard.
- 12. Also known as "walking"; a violation in which the ball handler takes fewer than two steps without dribbling, or holds the ball while changing or moving the pivot foot.
- 14. The team in possession of the ball.
- 17. An illegal play other than a floor violation.
- 18. The offensive team gives the ball up to defense.
- 19. A play from one teammate to another.
- 1. Lane Also called "the key", the area designated for free-throws 12 feet wide and running from the baseline to the free-throw line.
- 4. Bouncing the ball off the floor with one hand.
- 5. Dribble The illegal act of dribbling, stopping, then dribbling again.
- 7. A free shot taken from the foul line awarded a player whose opponent committed a foul.
- 8. Ball The ball tossed into the air by the referee between two opposing players in order to start the game.
- 10. Also known as "end lines", the boundary lines extending across both ends of the court behind the baskets.
- 13. The team not in possession of the ball.
- 15. Players positioned along the free-throw lane and who are generally closer to the basket than the guards.
- 16. Shot A shot in which an offensive player's feet leave the floor.