- 4. a general vote by the electorate on a single political question that has been referred to them for a direct decision.
- 5. extreme patriotism, especially in the form of aggressive or warlike foreign policy.
- 7. community-based mutual aid societies created by Mexican immigrants in the late 19th century United States
- 9. the ability to assess and initiate things independently
- 11. relating to or based on reason
- 12. To make American in form, style, or character
- 14. Process by which voters can remove elected officials from office before their terms end
- 15. an instruction, command, or duty given to a person or group of people.
- 18. the right to vote gained through the democratic process
- 1. to include specifically in the terms of an agreement
- 2. anything bought or sold
- 3. General political philosophy that is based on scientific progression
- 6. guided by thought
- 7. Reform-minded journalists who wrote for magazines
- 8. a violent uprising against an authority or government
- 10. in spite of that; however
- 12. to impose a fine, tax, or special payment on a person or property
- 13. a policy of extending a country's power and influence through diplomacy or military force.
- 16. no longer in use or practice
- 17. extreme hardship or difficulty