- 2. the science that deals with matter, energy, motion, and force
- 3. ( used with a singular verb ) Physics. the branch of physics that deals with sound and sound waves.
- 5. the scientific study of historic or prehistoric peoples and their cultures by analysis of their artifacts, inscriptions, monuments, and other such remains, especially those that have been excavated.
- 7. the science dealing with the atmosphere and its phenomena, including weather and climate.
- 9. the science or branch of biology dealing with animals.
- 10. the science that deals with the material universe beyond the earth's atmosphere.
- 12. the branch of physical geography dealing with the ocean.
- 14. the science of life or living matter in all its forms and phenomena, especially with reference to origin, growth, reproduction, structure, and behavior.
- 15. the science of soil management and the production of field crops.
- 1. the science that deals with the composition and properties of substances and various elementary forms of matter. Compare element
- 4. the science of the forms of life existing in former geologic periods, as represented by their fossils.
- 6. the branch of biology dealing with the relations and interactions between organisms and their environment, including other organisms.
- 8. the science that deals with the dynamics and physical history of the earth, the rocks of which it is composed, and the physical, chemical, and biological changes that the earth has undergone or is undergoing.
- 11. the branch of zoology dealing with fishes.
- 13. the science or the study of the origin, nature, and course of diseases.
- 14. the science of plants; the branch of biology that deals with plant life.