2. - Like a biological virus, a computer virus is something you don't want to get. Computer viruses are small programs or scripts that can negatively affect the health of your computer.
6. -Just like humans, computers rely a lot on memory. They need to process and store data, just like we do
7. (integr. circuit)- Also calledmicrochip. Electronics. a tiny slice of semiconducting material, generally in the shape of a square a few millimeters long, cut from a larger wafer of the material, on which a transistor or an entire integrated circuit is formed. Comparemicroprocessor.
9. -The process of transferring software/information from the Internet to your computer
11. vs. Hard Disk -
13. -The mouse cursor is most often an arrow that you can use to point to different objects on your screen
17. A processor, or "microprocessor," is a small chip that resides in computers and other electronic devices. Its basic job is to receive input and provide the appropriate output.
18. calledprocessor. An electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations. Compareanalog computer, digital computer.
20. An insulated electrical conductor, often in strands, or a combination of electrical conductors insulated from one another.
22. is a unit of measurement used to measure data
23. Binary is a two-digit (Base-2) numerical system, which computers use to store data and compute functions
25. Every instruction given by the operator must first pass through the CPU before
26. - a database entry that may contain one or more values.
27. is a document that stores data in a grid of horizontal rows and vertical columns.
30. up- Backup is the activity of copying files or databases so that they will be preserved in case of equipment failure or other catastrophe
31. -The computer term "bit" comes from the phrase "Binary Digit," which is different than that thing you put around a horse's mouth.
32. usually microscopic structure containing nuclear and cytoplasm material enclosed by a semi permeable membrane and, in plants, a cell wall; the basic structural unit of all organisms.
34. -When you have two or more computers connected to each other, you have a network. The purpose of a network is to enable the sharing of files and information between multiple systems.
1. -In a database record, a category that holds one type of information.
3. - an input device that scans documents such as photographs and pages of text
4. -A computer peripheral is any external device that provides input and output for the computer
5. exchange of messages in an internet or other network chat room
6. modem is a communications device that can be either internal or external to your computer. It allows one computer to connect another computer and transfer data over telephone lines.
7. disc read-only memory; a compact disc used with a computer system as a read-only optical disk compact disc read-only memory; a compact disc used with a computer system as a read-only optical disk
8. megabyte is 106 or 1,000,000 bytes
10. -The term "monitor" is often used synonymously with "computer screen" or "display." The monitor displays the computer's user interface and open programs, allowing the user to interact with the computer, typically using the keyboard and mouse.
12. hardware device that accesses the data stored on a disk, a CD, or a Zip disk
14. - Uniform Resource Locator." A URL is the address of a specific Web site or file on the Internet. It cannot have spaces or certain other characters and uses forward slashes to denote different directories
15. disk (diskette) -
17. -is actually short for "Picture Element." These small little dots are what make up the images on computer displays, whether they are flat-screen (LCD) or tube (CRT) monitors.
19. -A gigabyte is 109 or 1,000,000,000 bytes.
21. Processing Unit the “brains” of the computer. This unit directs the computers
24. can be carried out.
27. - software is a general term that describes computer programs.
28. -Electronic Mail -- The transmission of messages over communications networks
29. -A computerized store (collection) of related information
33. Wide Web-“World Wide Web." It is important to know that this is not a synonym for the Internet. The World Wide Web, or just "the Web," as ordinary people call it, is a subset of the Internet-