- 2. eliminate slavery
- 3. agreement between the federal government and the southern states to keep the South from seceding.
- 4. a largely southern political party that favored slavery.
- 5. a confederate sympathizer and professional actor.
- 6. largest battle of the American Civil War.
- 8. location of a major civil war battle in Maryland.
- 9. a speech that was given by president Abraham Lincoln.
- 12. 1820 to appease slave state concerns over a federal abolition of slavery.
- 13. a union stronghold in South Carolina.
- 15. a union general who served under President Lincoln.
- 16. the 16th president
- 1. issued on January 1, 1863.
- 7. a new political party that emerged in the North in the mid 1800's.
- 10. is the act of a state to leave the nation under which it belongs and become a sovereign nation of its own.
- 11. president of the Confederate states of America.
- 14. general of the confederate troops during the Civil War.